Technical training activities support your effort in contributing to your summer research project. The learning objectives of the program are for you to know or understand the following related to research:
- Understand what qualifies as research in an academic environment.
- Formulate a research question.
- Gather references to put research in context. Use library resources.
- Identify the contribution of a particular research project.
- Provide supporting evidence of the contribution.
- Communicate the research question and contribution in both written and oral form.
There are a variety of technical skills that will support your research efforts. The learning objectives of the program are for you to acquire knowledge related to the following methods:
- Statistical methods relevant to proving results, to classification, and to machine learning.
- Programming techniques for managing large datasets.
- Applications designed specifically for data analysis including Weka and Matlab.
- Basic data visualization techniques using Python, Matlab, and processing.org.
- Use of code repository, specifically Git and GitHub.
- Use LaTex to record references and for writing papers.
Schedule for Technical Training:
Please visit the Data Sciences page first for an overview of this material.
CIT refers to the data8 textbook Computational and Inferential Thinking: https://ds8.gitbooks.io/textbook/content/
Labs and Projects in html form can be found on Dr. Larson's Tutorial Site: http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~larson/repo-website-resources/website/examples/csresources/data8.html
|none||Python, GitHub, LaTex||data8 repos created, LaTex bibliography created|
|TUE, 06-06||CIT: up to Tables||lab01, lab02, project1||
Before Class: Research Worksheet 1
|THU, 06-08||CIT: up to Randomness||lab03, lab04, project1||
Before Class: lab01, lab02
|FRI, 06-09||CIT: up to Testing Hypotheses||project1, LaTex||
Before Class: lab03, lab04
End of Day: Project1, LaTex bibliography with references
|TUE, 06-13||CIT: up to Prediction||processing.org, lab05, lab06||Before Class: Poster Exercise (in public drive)|
|THU, 06-15||CIT: Prediction||processing.org, lab07, project2||Before Class: lab05, lab06|
|FRI, 06-16||project2, processing.org||
Before Class: lab07
End of Day: Project2
|TUE, 06-20||CIT: Inference for Regression, Classification||lab08, project3||Before Class: Research Worksheet 2 (in public drive)|
|CIT: Comparing Two Samples||Weka, lab09, project3||Before Class: lab08|
|FRI, 06-23||project3||End of Day: Project3|
|TUE, 06-27||CIT: Updating Predictions||lab10, Matlab||Before Class: Research Worksheet 3|
|THU, 06-29||Matlab, Technical Writing||Before Class: lab10|
|FRI, 07-07||Communicating Science Workshop|