Applications for Summer 2019
Application Review Will Begin Feb 15th
Program Dates: June 3-August 9, 2019
Applications will continue to be reviewed until the program is full.
The UMN REU Program on big data will provide 10 students the opportunity to collaborate with CS&E faculty on active research. Participants will be closely mentored by these faculty, and students will be provided with supplemental activities to support their research endeavors and long-term professional and academic goals. These 10 students will be joined by 10 UMN undergraduate students to create a talented and diverse cohort.
This program is for talented and motivated students enrolled in a computer science or related undergraduate program. Students are not eligible if they have already earned a B.S. or B.A. at the time of the program. Applicants should have basic understanding of programming at the start of the summer, but experience specific to big data is not necessary. Students must be available full time Monday through Friday throughout the 10-week program.
Students part of underrepresented minorities in computer science and those who are at institutions with limited research access are strongly encouraged to apply. Of special note, 2 slots are reserved for students enrolled at a local institution other than UMN.
Specific eligibility requirements include:
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Enrolled full time at an academic institution as part of an undergraduate program.*
- In excellent academic standing.
- Not already earned a B.S. or B.A. degree.
- Available full-time (40 hours per week, Monday through Friday) during the 10-week program.
- Basic programming skills evidenced by the computer science courses listed on your transcript(s).
* Current University of Minnesota students who would like to participate in all REU Site program activities can apply, but UMN students will be hired by faculty under different funding, as determined by the hiring faculty member. Housing would not be provided. UMN student applicants, please complete and submit all application materials except the recommendation letters.
During our review process, we will evaluate each student based on a collection of materials including transcripts, application form, statement of purpose, recommendation letters, and resume. We will be looking for students strongly motivated to pursue opportunities that advance them academically, professionally, and personally, and who have the talent and potential to be successful in those endeavors.
APPLY here using the Google Form: APPLICATION FORM
- Submit via email to email@example.com:
- Unoffiicial Transcript
- Letter of Intent : Tell us about your interest in the UMN REU Big Data program and in computer science in general. Include information about your academic experience and if you have any, also your research experience.
- Request 2 letters of recommendation and have the recommenders submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE request that the subject line contains your first and last name.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email us.
We look forward to receiving your application and learning more about your interests in computer science and in the REU Big Data program.