Applications for Summer 2020
Program Dates: June 1 - August 7, 2020
Application review will begin on February 14 (extended deadline).
However, we will continue to accept new applications and recommendation letters on an ongoing basis until the program is full. Students are encouraged to apply even after this date!
The University of Minnesota Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) site will provide 10 students the opportunity to collaborate with faculty in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering. Participants will be closely mentored by these faculty and will be provided with supplemental activities to support their research endeavors and long-term professional and academic goals.
This program is for talented and motivated students enrolled in a computer science or related undergraduate program. Students are not eligible if they have already earned a B.S. or B.A. at the time of the program. Applicants should have basic understanding of programming at the start of the summer, but prior research experience is not necessary.
Students that identify as members of underrepresented groups in computer science and those who are at institutions with limited research access (e.g., liberal arts colleges) are particularly encouraged to apply.
Specific eligibility requirements include:
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Enrolled full time at an academic institution as part of an undergraduate program.*
- In excellent academic standing.
- Will not have already earned a B.S. or B.A. degree before the summer.
- Available full-time (40 hours per week, Monday through Friday) during the ten week program.**
- Basic programming skills evidenced by the computer science courses listed on your transcript(s).
* Current University of Minnesota students who would like to participate in the REU site are welcome to apply, but please note that these spots are very limited.
** It may be possible to accommodate a late start date if your academic semester or final exams partially overlap with beginning of the program. However, this might result in a slight reduction of the stipend to reflect the actual time spent at the University.
During our review process, we will evaluate each student based on a collection of materials including transcripts, application form, statement of purpose, and recommendation letter. We will be looking for students strongly motivated to pursue opportunities that advance them academically, professionally, and personally, and who have the talent and potential to be successful in those endeavors.
Step 1: Application Form
To complete this form, you will need the following:
- The most recent unofficial transcript from your undergraduate institution (PDF).
- A one page personal statement (PDF). This may include your research interests and how you came to be interested in them, your previous research experiences, your reasons for wanting to participate in the REU program, and how a summer research experience might better prepare you to meet your future goals.
- A ranking of your top three choices from the list of research projects.
- The name and email address for a faculty member that will provide your letter of recommendation. A letter request with a customized submission link will be sent automatically when you submit your application form.
Step 2: Recommendation Letter Confirmation
Your application is not complete until we receive a recommendation letter. We strongly recommend that you follow up directly with your recommender to make sure that the letter is submitted by the application deadline. You will receive another confirmation automatically when the letter is submitted.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.